"There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness -Lady Blessington"

Sunday 17 April 2011

--- Sometimes everything can't be perfect

Here I am readers! Today I'm going to talk about how sometimes everything can't be perfect (the title..duh) Ever since I was young my father told me to be optimistic and happy. He would always tell me this story: an unhappy man had a water bottle with half the water left. He screamed, "Damn it! I only have half the water left!" The same amount was left for another man. He looked at his water bottle and chuckled, "Oh my! I still have half the water left! Well, good for me!" He...basically told me that everytime I complained about something in my life, so it was pretty damn annoying for a long time.
When I was preparing to go to high school, I was very excited. Like, VERY excited because I used to watch many of those korean or canadian dramas based on the stereotypes of highschools (oh come on, they're funny and addicting!) However, when I did become a grade 9, all my expectations were not met. Obviously one reason was because I compared the reality with my fantasy of a highschool, but the most important reason was my realization of the similarity between my high school and middle school. For me highschool, this is how I thought back in grade 9, was not that different as I expected. People were still judging others by their looks, still bullying students and caring about their "reputation" or "popularity."
Honestly, the word "popularity" doesn't really exist because as long as you have those wonderful people (i think you know who you are <3) around you who love you as much as you love them, none of the "image" thing matters. Nothing's more depressing than seeing your lovelies disappointed in you (and trust me, I did some reckless things, so I know the feeling).
By now, you're probably wondering, how is this ever going to relate to the title? Well, be patient, I'm getting there. A year quickly passed by and in 2011 I became a grade 10. I had some excitement in the beginning of the year, but I didn't have as much as I did back in grade 9. I guess it was because I already knew the "schedule" of the year, if you know what I mean. Nothing was going to be different, I thought. And oh shit, I should have not said that. No, things did not get better. Things got worse because I barely knew anyone in my new classes and many of my lovelies did not have the same lunch as me.
"Really... you're depressed because you don't get to eat some sandwiches with your friends?"
That's what my brother said  when I called him on the phone, complaining about my life. Oh my, that sounds quite funny. A grade 10 calling a 21 year old brother about how she's depressed because she doesn't get to eat lunch with her buddies. AWWWW. HOW SAD. WELL, BELIEVE ME, IT WAS A HORRIBLE FEELING.
Anyway, days became weeks, weeks became months and months became... more months. I started to feel sorry for myself. Sorry that I could not just get over the fact that this year was going to be worse than last year. Then I remembered the bottle story my dad told me (read above if you don't remember) "Oh crap.. I've been the pathetic, unhappy man who screamed "@#$*&^" when he still had half of the water left" is exactly what I said to myself after realizing that. It was... funny. I started laughing out loud at how miserable I've been acting when I could have just faced the fact that sometimes everything can't be perfect. That the word "perfect" can only be applied when I've made the best out of everything I have. And honestly, I did not make the best out of everything I have. I didn't even acknowledge the wonderful people who were always there for me. And obviously if I didn't care about the people, I didn't care about what I had (like...literally.. You know, as in objects and things?)
Well, now I am totally better. I feel great about myself. I don't give a shit when, sometimes, other people insult me about my "skinny" complex or other stuff because I know that I am so much better than them. Because I have the people in my life who loves me for who I am and not for how I look like. Yeah, my life isn't perfect like the ones in the movies, but really? Noone's life is exactly the same as the films we watch on TV or in movie theatres. Everyone has their complexes, their troubles and their depressions. But, what I learned is that I have to love all those things too, in order to truly love and accept myself. Because god made me this way. And I really believe that there are no "failures" in life. Those unfortunate people are not failures. They just haven't learned to respect themselves yet like how I wasn't able to until recently.
So this is it. This is how I realized that "sometimes everything can't be perfect." And if I made any errors in this post...well, too bad. My post can't be perfect, right? ;)

No comments: