"There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness -Lady Blessington"

Monday 27 June 2011

--- "SUZY! THE OVEN'S BURNING!?!"

So, I realized that I haven't blogged in a very long time. Therefore, to make up for the absence of my posts, I shall give you a very long and yummy update! Not so many days after Kyleen and I made the hot chocolate pots by Nigella Lawson, I went on to make cream puffs with chocolate sauce on top. I don't know if I should call that chocolate eclairs because I combined two different recipes for the "cream puffs with chocolate sauce on top." I used the puff pastry recipe from Keiko, and the chocolate sauce recipe from this really adorable old lady on youtube. Hey, I don't know her name okay? Anyway, the end results looked like this:





These delicious looking cream puffs hold a very special story within each of them. You see, I thought that I could place wax paper in the oven as substitution for aluminum foil. Wax paper looks so much prettier as a decoration than aluminum foil, you know? But, when my brother went inside the kitchen to cook himself some instant noodles, he yelled, "YO, SUZY! WHY IS THE OVEN BURNING?!?" He could have said, "Suzy? There is smoke coming out of the oven!" but obviously he was freaked out too and decided to exaggerate the situation so much more than it was. "Why is the oven burning?!?" That made me jump inside the kitchen to rescue my cream puffs. (I'm sorry bro (: My babies seemed more valuable than you at that moment). You are not supposed to open the oven for even a second when you are baking puff pastry. UNFORTUNATELY, I had to take them out for 10 minutes to get the smoke out of the oven. One third of my puff pastry was all wrinkly and the pastries shrunk. Rapidly. In the next fastest 10 minutes of my life, I quickly transferred the pastries from the cookie trays into another oven-safe pan. Then, I shoved them all into my mini oven and baked them for about 15 minutes. Luckily, they began to rise again (hmm... so much for the "you're basically f***ed if you open the oven when baking puff pastries!!) and when I took them out of the oven, they actually looked pretty good. However, the baked puffs did not have enough space for whipping cream inside of them, so I decided to make "cream puff sandwiches." My cream puff sandwiches basically had a puff as the bottom base, whipping cream as the middle part, another puff as the top, and finally, the chocolate drizzle to finish them up. The sandwiches tasted pretty awesome!! And I also learned a very valuable lesson from that day: Never put wax paper in the oven unless you want your brother to start screaming, "THE OVEN'S BURNING!!"

2 comments:

kyleen said...

LOLOLOLOLOL I can just imagine that happening. Your chocolate eclairs/cream puffs look so good! My mom's telling me to stop baking so much...

Suzy said...

LOOOL. thank youu (: gasp! don't let your mom discourage you!!